Word count (to the nearest thousand): 66,000 (and rising)
Status: Incorporating feedback from my latest batch of betas
Fluttery because I’m excited. Fluttery because I’m nervous. Fluttery because I’m fast approaching Bob’s first birthday and I can’t believe it’s been a YEAR.
This week, I plan to put together what I hope will be my last revision outline, and then I’ll only have to pretty up each chapter according to said outline. (Well, I also plan to try that dreaded out-loud read again, but as we all remember how well that went a few months ago, I’m still kind of ignoring it…)
My first batch of betas caught the major problems with my plot and story construction, and my second batch uncovered some issues with characterization and world building. That’s just how it should be, I think--the first batch found the biggest problems, and the second batch the second biggest problems. Interestingly, none of my second-batch betas brought up the same major issues my first batch did, which (hopefully) means I fixed those plot problems. Phew.
Depending on how I feel about this fifth draft once I finish it, I may decide to give Bob to a third round of beta readers, but for now, I’m thinking these two will be good. Which means I’ll probably be ready to query by late September.
Wowsers. Querying by late September.
And that’s why I’m all fluttery.